Start in Idiazabal: find the museum dedicated to their cheese, the shepherd’s monument, some latxa sheep next to Gernika tree, cheese factories…From Idiazabal, you can go to Segura and Ordizia by walking 45 minutes. First, get to Segura and visit the guys in Ondarre Cheese Farm. Then, 4 km away from Segura, go to Zerain and visit their 3 dairies, 2 cider bars and more museums.
A second plan is going to Ordizia, the key place if you’re into Idiazabal cheese. If you’re lucky enough to visit on a Wednesday, go to their market! The rest of the week you can walk the medieval town and d’Elikatuz, Goierri’s Nutrition and Gastronomy Interpretation Centre.
The land of Idiazabal also has other cheese houses and shepperd hut´s inside both Natural Parks that you can visit (only during summer season). If you are traveling in a group, you should not miss the chance of organizing a wine + cheese tasting!
Don’t forget to check Goierri’s schedule to keep an eye on their local festivities and gastronomic fairs during the fall.
These are the cheese houses you can visit:
– Ondarre cheese house. 13,050€ were paid at auction for just half of their cheese at the Idiazabal Cheese Competition held annually in Ordizia! If you visit this dairy, you will meet Goiburu family and they will show you their facilities and the sheep! You can also spend the night at their 500-year-old caserío, because it is also an farmhouse accommodation!
– Ondramuño cheese house. Brothers Aranburu -Javier, Juanjo y Jesús- will guide you through the cheese-making process, having the chance to taste different varieties of Idiazabal: white, smoked, young and aged. Their cheese was awarded the international ‘Super Gold’ at 2015 World Cheese Awards!
– Gaztañaditxulo cheese house. They have around 350 latxa sheeps. If you come visit them, you will see the shepherd dog working, you will have the chance to feed the lambs, see the milking… also see the process of making cheese and -of course- taste it with some natural cider!
– Garoa cheese house. Martina and Jon are passionate about heir job. You can visit them in their farm at the entrance to Zerain from approximately September to May because this family makes the transhumance and spends their summers in the Aralar Natural Park.
– Basazabal cheese house. Javier Muñoa is the shepherd of this traditional cheese factory located in a beautiful enclave and where, in addition to knowing the production process, you can see his flock.
– Baztarrika cheese house. Amelia and her family offer us the possibility of making Idiazabal cheese as well as seeing a photo exhibition about the life of the shepherd. You can buy local products in their little store.
– Otatza cheese house. Joseba Insausti is shepherd from Ordizia and he spent the year living between his hut in Aralar Natural Park and the family farmhouse located in Ordizia, one of the few remaining in the town. This is one of the shepherds who knows what is to get a prize in the famous Ordizia contest.
how to get there
Explore other plans
IN ITS PURE STATE Sports Goierri is all about competition and challenge. You will get to see locations that are the real settings of some of the most popular mountain races in …
TAKE A BREATH OF Nature Basque history and culture have always been surrounded by nature. A perfect match for those who love natural environments and mountain tourism. Goierri is the only region …
KNOW OUR Horse riding Our wide territory allows us the possibility of carrying out innumerable activities and among them, the horse riding. Either in a closed place or doing routes and excursions, …
NATURAL AND REMARKABLE LIKE ITS gastronomy We’re certain you will only taste the highest quality in our products… but we'll let you see for yourself: Idiazabal cheese, local cider, Beasain’s sausage, Zaldibia’s …
A FULL VALLEY OF Culture Pre-history men, mythological beings, kings and princes, malefactors and traders, travelers and pilgrims have crossed Goierri through History. Its strategic location connecting Europe to Castile make Goierri …
PLAN YOUR trip Either coming by yourself, with your partner, family or friends, in Goierri there is a plan for you. We help you organise your trip through suggested routes, historical and mythological …
WE'LL HELP YOU PLAN
Get to know Euskadi’s highlands
When you hear someone shouting txotx! don’t think twice: get up and follow the queue to get yourself some natural cider directly served from the barrell -kupela-.
Take your chance of tasting Txakoli and Idiazabal with the popular chef Iban Mate while you’re visiting Goierri.
Goierri Gastronomika is a gastronomic club with just one principle: any product on your table must be the highest quality!
Choose the ingredients in our market, with the help of a local chef.
Enjoy this cheese trail through the villages of Idiazabal, Segura and Ordizia.
Though you are in the land of Idiazabal cheese, get ready to find some other delicious local products that you can only eat here in Goierri! Try Beasain’s morcillas, very …
Do you what the talos are? We propose you to do a elaboration workshop in a special place to know how they are made. Then, you will eat your creation!
Do you know the talos? We propose you to do a elaboration workshop in a special place to know how they are made. Then, you car eat your creation!
Ordizia's Market is the reference when it comes to agriculture in Euskadi. Every Wednesday, producers and buyers meet around thousands of organic, local products from caseríos of the region.
"As old as Euskal Herria, as ancient as its essence, as generous as its men”. Know everything about Idiazabal cheese, taste it and learn how to recognise it!